Click here for Recent News.
Our research group is focused on the fluid dynamics of vortices, waves, turbulence, and hydrodynamic stability. We use traditional analysis, CFD, and more recently Deep Learning and Bayesian Optimization.
Our studies are motivated by geophysics, astrophysics, physics and engineering. Our most recent research in geophysics and astrophysics has focused on:
- Extraction of velocity fields from images of clouds
- Maintenance and evolution of long-lived planetary vortices (e.g., Jupiter’s Great Red Spot) and zonal winds;
- Vortex dynamics in planetary atmosphere
- The formation of stars and planets;
- The interactions of internal and inertial gravity waves in oceans, atmospheres, and protoplanetary disks.
Other problems that motivate our studies are more practical:
- Mitigation of dangerous wake vortices shed from aircraft
- Shape optimization using morphing
- Bayesian optimization
Our research on fluids is carried out with large scale computations using Spectral Methods, Deep Learning and Bayesian Optimization.
You can see examples of what our lab is working on in the Videos section of our website.