Third year PhD student at UC Berkeley. Passionate programmer and applied mathematician. Interested in Machine Learning, AI, and its applications to fluid related physics.
My name is Chiyu, and I go by ‘Max’. I am currently a PhD student in UC Berkeley. I am interested in Deep Learning, Machine Learning, and its applications in fluids related controls problems. I also did several projects on shape generation and shape morphing. My research advisor is Professor Philip Marcus and I am co-adviced by Professor Phillip Colella in EECS Department / LBNL.
I came from a diverse personal as well as academic background. I was born in China, but I grew up living in several countries, namely China, Germany and Singapore, and I completed my undergraduate studies in Cornell University, Ithaca, NY in the United States. My hobbies include playing musical instruments (piano + guitar rules), photography, travel, and thinking about interesting scientific/entrepreneurial ideas.
Here’s a link to my personal blog and webpage. Currently showcasing a few of my research projects, but I’m hoping to put up some fun stuff as well:
- Deep Learning for fluid-rigid-body dynamics inference and model-based reinforcement learning for controls in fluid environment.
- Airfoil design optimization with deep learning based flow inference.
Current Teaching (GSI):
- CS294-73[Fa 17]: Software Engineering for Scientific Computing.
Link to course page
Publications & Abstracts:
- Chiyu Jiang, Philip Marcus, et al. Hierarchical detail enhancing mesh-based shape generation with 3d generative adversarial network. arXiv preprint arXiv:1709.07581, 2017. Link
- Chiyu Jiang, Anzhu Sun, and Philip Marcus. Drag reduction of an airfoil using deep learning. Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 2017. Link
- Sahuck Oh, Chung-Hsiang Jiang, Chiyu Jiang, and Philip S. Marcus. Finding the optimal shape of the leading-and-trailing car of a high-speed train using design-by-morphing. Computational Mechanics, Oct 2017.
- Sahuck Oh, Chung-Hsiang Jiang, Philip Marcus, David Gutzwiller, Alain Demeulenaere, and Chiyu Jiang. Shape optimization of a turbine-99 draft tube using design-by-morphing. APS Division of Fluid Dynamics Meeting Abstracts, 2016. Link
3D Shape Generation using Deep Learning:
Left : Chairs and tables generated by proposed deep learning model, rendered by Blender;
Center: Morphing of two shapes by linear interpolation of latent space vector;
Right : Car generated by proposed deep learning model.
3D Mesh Morphing using Mesh Parameterization:
Left : Spherical parameterization of genus-zero mesh (horse) using conformal mean curvature flow (CMCF);
Center: Morphing of two mesh patches by boundary aligned mesh parametrization;
Right : Morphing of two genus-zero meshes by feature-aligned spherical parameterization.