|Welcome to the
UC Berkeley Computational Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
under the direction of Professor Philip Marcus.
Our research group is focused on the fluid dynamics of vortices, waves, turbulence, and hydrodynamic stability. Our studies are motivated by geophysics, astrophysics, physics and engineering. Our most recent research in geophysics and astrophysics has focused on:
- Maintenance and evolution of long-lived planetary vortices (e.g. Jupiter’s Great Red Spot) and zonal winds;
- The formation of stars and planets;
- The interactions of internal and inertial gravity waves in oceans, atmospheres, and protoplanetary disks.
Other problems that motivate our studies are more practical:
- Mitigation of dangerous wake vortices shed from aircraft and high-speed trains,
- Artificial photosynthesis,
- Desalination of water.
Our research on fluids is carried out with large scale computations using spectral methods.